What to know if you’re injured while going to or from work

Getting in an accident while you are traveling to, from or for work can prove to be a more complicated situation than you expect. Not only are you dealing with the painful injuries that can be suffered in any accidents, but you can also be confronted with what, if any, compensation is available for damages, which can also include lost wages.

Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you could collect financial support through filing a negligence claim and/or a workers’ compensation claim. Below are some basic details about what elements need to present for you to be eligible for these benefits.

To file a workers’ compensation claim

Generally speaking, accident injuries suffered while traveling to or from work will not be covered by workers’ compensation. However, there are exceptions. For instance, if you are driving as part of your job and get hurt in an accident, your injuries could be covered. If you are on your employer’s property when you are injured, your injuries could be covered as well.

To file a negligence claim

A negligence claim may be an option regardless of why you were driving. These claims can be filed against negligent parties, which includes reckless or negligent drivers. For instance, if someone hit you while they were texting, you could file a legal claim against that person. If a part in your car failed and/or was defective, you could file a claim against the party who designed, manufactured or sold your car.

Know your legal options to maximize financial remedies

Depending on the details of your specific accident, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation, a negligence claim and/or other claims that can cover your medical expenses, lost wages and other damages you have suffered.

In order to pursue the compensation for which you are eligible, it can be crucial that you consult an attorney. Failure to do so could mean that you overlook certain sources of relief that may be available. A legal representative can also help you build your claim, collect evidence and file applications properly to avoid costly mistakes and delays.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

We represent people throughout Cook County, Chicagoland and elsewhere in Illinois. Call us at 312-981-0408 or send an email to discuss your case in a free, no-obligation case evaluation. If you cannot travel to us, we will gladly come to you.

Eliasik Law