First steps

The first step to take when you have been in an accident with an unisured driver in Illinois, is to check your own insurance policy to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage. You can find this on the Declarations page included with your policy. Then, you should look to see if you have medical payments coverage. If you have this, it is usually a small amount, like $1,000 or $5,000. This is intended to help with the immediate medical expenses, but ususally not enough to cover ongoing treatment if needed.

Once you have determined that you have uninsured motorist coverage, the best thing to do is talk to an Illinios licenced attorney who focuses on handling automobile accident cases. Many people will contact their insurance company first, without realizing that your insurance company may be looking for reasons to deny your claim. This is one of the jobs of the person you will likely be talking to, an uninsured motorist insurance adjuster. An experienced autmobile accident attorney will know the issues in your case and will be able to advise you before talking to an insurance company representative.

These are just some of the first steps to take when you have been in an accident with an uninsured driver. Even if you don’t think you have uninsured motorist coverage, an attorney may be able to help you find insurance elswhere, or discuss other options. An unsiured motorist claim can be tricky. It is best to get some help.

To read more about automobile accidents in general, please visit our website.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

We represent people throughout Cook County, Chicagoland and elsewhere in Illinois. Call us at 312-981-0408 or send an email to discuss your case in a free, no-obligation case evaluation. If you cannot travel to us, we will gladly come to you.

Eliasik Law